This work focuses on urban governance in the developing world, its aim being to bring a holistic perspective to the debate on urban governance in Asia and around the globe. It has been divided into three sections: The first section is on rural interventions as they influence urbanization and its problems/solutions. The second focuses on urban governance, infrastructure programs, service delivery reforms and their evaluation. The third and final section focuses on urbanization and the environment.
In the first section, we present evaluations of India’s rural programs including the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), and of India’s Total Sanitation Campaign (Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan). This section covers the transition from rural to urban areas, and highlights coping mechanisms in urban areas and policy implications for urban governance, from the viewpoint of rural migrants.
The section on urban governance, infrastructure and service delivery is the most in-depth one and consists of papers that present state-of-the-art research on many aspects of infrastructure such as cost and time overruns, risks and their mitigation, assessments of the metro rail, and services such as solid waste management.
The focus of the final section is on urbanization and the environment. Here we examine land use change in India, the relationship between urban form and residential energy use in Bandung, Indonesia, and end by depicting a cautiously optimistic view of Asia’s urbanization-environment nexus.
Part I: Rural-urban Linkages
2. Implementation of MGNREGA: A Study of Two Gram Panchayats in Jhalawar, Rajasthan / Moitri Dey
3. ‘Total Sanitation Campaign’ Intervention for a Semiurban Village Through ‘Public–People–Private’ Partnership / Manik N Dive, Anand B Rao
4. Making the Connection Between Informal Self-Employment and Temporary Migration: Lessons from the Cycle Rickshaw Sector / Ashima Sood
Part II: Urban Governance, Infrastructure and Service Delivery
5. Benchmarking Cities: Evidence from India / Kala Seetharam Sridhar, Nivedita Kashyap
6. Central and State Urban Infrastructure Programs in Karnataka: What Do We Learn? / Kala Seetharam Sridhar, A. Venugopala Reddy
7. Risk Allocation in Concession Agreements for PPP Road Projects in India / Debopam Roy, Satyanarayana Kalidindi, A. Soundararajan
8. Value of Travel Time Saved in Modal Shift from Bus to Metro Case Study: Rohini (West) Delhi Metro Station / Pawan Kumar
9. Hidden Cost in Public Infrastructure Project: A Case Study of Kolkata East–West Metro / Sutapa Das
10. Impact of Urban Policy Reform: A Case Study of the Informal Sector in Solid Waste Management in Delhi
11. Estimating Economic Costs of Municipal Solid Waste Management: Using Contingent Valuation Method / J. Sacratees, G. Hari Govindaraj
12. A Study of Small And Micro Enterprise Regulatory Impediments in Fiji / Salvin Saneel Nand
Part III: Urbanization and Environment
13. Trends of Land-Use Change in India / Geetika Rathee
14. Urban form and Residential Energy Use in Bandung Indonesia / Sigit D. Arifwidodo
15. Urbanization and the Environment: An Asian Perspective / Guanghua Wan, Matthew Kahn